1985 90hp running problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 90hp running problems

i just bought a 19' center console with a 1985 90hp outboard. the boat sat for 2 years before i got it. the carbs are new, plugs & wires are new. the motor looks mint. the first time i started it it ran great aside from blowing the engine store out...for about 2 min. now the buzzer is going off, the boat starts with the kill switch disconnected, then wont shut off with the key,it usually starts right up but it runs like crap. its miss firing, spitting and sputering, back firing,then stalls out. sometimes the buzzer goes off sometimes it stays on. the oit gauge lights up green one min. red the next and flickers. i replaced the kill switch thinking that was the problem but that did nothing. a few people have looked at it but all are puzzled. i am new to outboards so i basicly have no clew. hope someone can help.

'fluked,
    Sounds like you have three problem areas:

1)motor won't turn off with ignition switch - try squirting some WD-40 down into switch. Check the wire connections for corrosion - may have to replace switch.

2)carbs clogged with gum/varnish - since it sat for so long, need to pull the carbs, teardown, clean and install carb kit.

3)alarm going off - could be from overheating or oil level sensor. The impeller of the water pump may have paddles that are distorted and not pumping water properly. I would replace impeller - go ahead and do a kit.
    Oil level sensor in the remote and local tanks need to be cleaned. I would drain out all of the old oil and clean tanks and sensors.

Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Before you do anything else get a shop manual for the motor, you'll be way ahead if you do.

Comment

Working...
      X