Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F115 Power Loss

Hi Everyone,

Posted on the hulltruth but would like to ask you for advice on an engine problem. I recently purchased an Elan 18 CC with a Yamaha F115 AETL 2002 rigged. The engine had 180 hour on it. Prior the purchase I took it for a test run and it ran absolutely wonderful. I also had a mechanic with me who did some additional tests on the engine and advised me to buy it. However, the one thing missing was a pre engine fuel filter/separator. Anyway, since I planned to drive the boat for only 10 days I figured that I would install a Racor filter after I return from New York (the boat is in Europe btw).

Well, during these 10 days I noticed gradual decrees in top-RPMs and the last day it topped at 3700 RPM. To try to diagnose the problem (and I am truly an amateur) I disconnected the spark plugs one by one while the engine was running on approx 2000 RPMs and noticed a drop in RPMs on all the plugs. I did the same thing with the Injectors where I disconnected the power relay attached to each one of them one by one and I got a drop in RPMs on all except one which didn’t show any difference. I do know that the fuel here is really really bad.

So to my questions, am I on the right track thinking that one Injector is clogged, and if so how come the spark plug test didn’t indicate a problem? Since there are no facilities to clean Injectors over here I was wondering if that can be done by me or should I buy a new Injector to replace the faulty one.

Finally, since I am in New York at the time and have the possibility to purchase spare parts for the Yamaha at one third of the price than in Europe what other parts could you recommend bringing back, i.e. fuel pump, filters etc. I do have a limited amount of money but I am prepared to spend a considerable amount in bringing the engine to excellent condition.

Sorry for the long mail, I would really appreciate your opinions here.

Joe

It may not be an injector problem, need to test fuel pressure to see if it's loosing fuel pressure to injector rail.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X