Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 Yamaha 150ETLJ No Tilt/Trim in forward gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Yamaha 150ETLJ No Tilt/Trim in forward gear?

Took the boat out today and noticed that the motor would not tilt or trim from the throttle lever. When in neutral or in reverse it works fine. Also, the tilt/trim switch at the motor works no matter what.

I've taken the 703 control apart and checked everything as well as connections, etc. at the motor. I did not seem to find anything wrong.

Any suggestions or knowledge where to go next?

Mega',
    Check the connections on the t/t switch that is mounted in the remote handle - could be corroded or cold solder connections.
    Also, try squirting some WD-40 or equiv into the switch.
    If the above does not help, then follow the wires from the switch out the bottom of the 703 to where it connects to the main harness with bullet connectors - look for corroded or loose connections, or for wires from the switch that have worn and broken inside the insulation.
    Have someone engage the switch up or down while you wiggle the wires to find the bad one.
    Good luck, and let us know what you find [img]smile.gif[/img] .
    Ken K

Comment

im not sure if the 703`s are wound around in the handle like the 704`s...it may be pulling or scuffed to the point where it isnt making a connection when pushed/stretched.its been years since i had to pull apart my 703, but quite simple.

Comment

Sure enough, after taking the 703 apart again and messing with the wires, I found one that was broken enough only to make it not work when the lever was moved into forward. Thanks for your help. New switch on the way!

Comment

Hi,

where was was source of the problem? May help others like me with the 703... Jon

Comment

The switch itself was working okay, but the wire going from the switch was broken. After carefully cutting the insulation off the wire, I found that the wire(s) were broken where they pass through a metal shield. The shield is were the wire makes a sharp bend through the control handle and goes into the box. I figure after 20 years, the wires were not that flexible anymore.

The way the wire(s) were broken it would allow t/t to work only when the handle was either in nuetral or pulled back into reverse. I noticed that when the lever was put into forward, the wire would stretch/twist enough to not allow contact.

Comment

Working...
            X