help/ yamaha water/fuel indicator??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help/ yamaha water/fuel indicator??

hi ken, have a 200 yam 2 stroke. we added an aftermarket racor 3213 fuel/water separator..which included a two wire harness with sesor in the bottom of the filter and a "little" red light mounted on the dash. it is supppose to light if water is present in the filter. i tested it by grounding the harness wires back at the filter...light does not light. so its either the bulb or the wiring harness back to the filter. however, cannot locate Yam. part #.. do you have any comments on my test procedure or the part # for the whole assembly?

Hey Capt. John,
    Wish I was more familiar with the water sensor circuit, as I have never had the opportunity to work on one.
    This question could be better answered by the boats.net guy, but I will take a stab at it.
    Your test procedure is valid, but only if there is 12 volts at the bulb and continuity on the wires between the sensor and the bulb.
    I would check the little red lite to see if 12 volts is going to it from "ignition-on" 12 volts.
    This is usually the yellow wiring under the console on Yamahas.
    Next I would check for continuity on the wire pair between the sensor and the lite. Disconnect the two wires from the lite and short the two at the other end that connects to the sensor. Then measure resistance between the two at the lite end. You should measure continuity, near zero ohms. If not, then there is a break somewhere.
    If you do measure continuity, then I would suspect either a burned out bulb or maybe a poor connection at the bulb. Maybe remove bulb if can and look for corrosion.
    Hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X