Mobil One OK to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobil One OK to use?

Since our outboards run at nearly 2X the RPM's of our cars, and since synthetic oils are so good, is it advisable to use Mobil One in our four stroke crank case?

If not - why not?

Seems like a top shelf 100% synthetic would be the absolute best oil any of us can use.
    Grady-White 330 Express

'Jack,
    If I had a 4-stroke, Mobil 1 is what I would be using. I run it in my truck, and have for many years. Check your owner's manual to see if there is any special designation for the type of oil - the letters you find on the can/bottle. I would be surprised if a synthetic is not recommended.
    Mobil 1 gear oil is also the best for use in the lower unit - IMO.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken. I agree with you. I run my cars on it and it's the best lube $ can buy (IMHO).

And, it is perfect for high rev'ing engines like Jets or Motorcycles or outboards.

The owner's manual says nothing about this because I believe Honda, Yamaha, Mercury, etc. make high margins on selling their brand of oil. Why not. I'd do it if I were them. Heck - it's money for their shareholders.

Hmmm - 10W-30 oil in Yamaha brand Vs. Mobil One? - I'd go with Mobil One 10 times out of 10.
      Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

'Jack,
        I'm not one to fall for marketing hype - so about ten years ago I decided to "try" Mobil 1.
        I did a test on my 95 Chev Silverado over a 10,000 mile period comparing Pennzoil 10W-30 "regular" oil to Mobil 1 fully synthetic.
        Now I had been using Pennzoil seems like forever.
        And it is darn good oil. But after my 10,000 mile test on fuel economy, I got 0.6 more miles per gallon than with Pennzoil.
        Now 0.6 miles out of 19 does not sound like much, but it told me that there was less internal friction with the Mobil 1, and in 10,000 miles, which is how often I change the oil, the difference in mpg actually paid for the oil.
        I'm a believer in synthetic oil, especially Mobil 1 [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Ken,

You and I think alike...

I keep detailed records on my Yamaha F225's performance. This motor was brand new in January of this year and I have put 131 hours on it. Some comments:
          1. It has never burned a drop of oil.
          2. I am careful not to over fill it during oil changes which I did at 18, 70 and rfecently at 120 hours.
          3. Since changing from YamaLube 10W-30 to Mobil One 10W-30, at 120 hours, I have observed a minimum of 10% increase in my MPG from 2.2 to 2.5 MPG.
          This is based on my last 10 hours of use on two fishing trips of ~45 miles each.

More importantly, the synthetic should lube my valve train (top of motor) FASTER during cold starts than any non-synthetic oil.

The outboard manufactures don't have the time or money to conduct a test on synthetic oils. They also aren't motivated since they don't SELL them.
          Wouldn't surpise me if they sell a synthetic (re-branded with their name on it) when the big V8 Outboards come out in a year or two.
          Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

I've been using Mobil One for years in my Toyota pick ups and esp as premix (MX2T) in my 2 stroke MX bikes. Anyone heard of a Mobil One product for 2 stroke outboards?

Comment

I also use mobil 1 on all of my vehicles and would not hesitate to use it on a 4 stroke o/b. Not only for the reasons everyone else listed, but because it leaves the engine clean. No sludge, no deposits anywhere when you take the valve cover off. Everything looks brand new. If you like working on your own engines, full synthetic is the way to go.

Comment

Hasen't anyone ever heard of AMSOIL ? It outperforms Mobil 1 in just about every test that has ever been performed with lubrecants. Check it out, you will not be sorry. I have been using it in my Yamaha F225's, My cars, for the last 10 years, my truck, a f250 diesel, lawn tractor, Etc. Etc. I cannot say enough about it. It has gotton rid of a slight shifting feel in my transmission of my car, increased gas milage in the car and the diesel truck, cut maintenance on all my vhicles.Yada, yada.
                Dennis

Comment

Yes, Amsoil is an excellent lube. And probably better than Mobil One. In my case, my cost of Mobil One 10W-30 at Costco is about the same as what I pay for YamaLube 10W-30 at my Yamaha Dealer. So to me, it's a no brainer to use Mobil One.

Amsoil has two things against it:
                  1. You can't buy it as easily as Mobil One (i.e. you must make an appointment with a local Amsoil Dealer), and
                  2. It costs more

For these reasons, I'm a Mobil One guy for life.
                  Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Thats wrong! Amsoil is easy to get , all you have to do is order it online?? whats so hard about that? and since it lasts so long its no big deadl, The stuff 100 times better than mobil one and they make the best gear lube out there also, its worth the time and investment to order it online, ships in 3 days or so......

Comment

Let's see, the Amsoil web site shows the following for one quart of oil:
                      $5.90 per quart of 10W-30 XLT01, and
                      $7.00 per quart of 10W-40 AMOQT

Add $.55 per quart for S&H and the cheapest, delivered cost is $6.45 for one quart of XLT01.

Yesterday, my wife bought me a case (6 quarts) of Mobil One 10W-30 fully synthetic motor oil at Costco for $28 a case or $4.67 for a quart. Add CA. sales tax and it's $5.04 for a quart. Mobil One is 28 percent less expensive.

28% is BIG difference in my checkbook.

Lastly, the point of my post (above) was comparing dino oil, like YamaLube to a good quality, 100%, synthetic. I am not launching an Amsoil war. It is very, very good oil. Just 28% more expensive than Mobil One which my Mercedes runs on.
                      Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Watch out for the Amsoil. They came out with a not 100% synthetic to compete with likes of Castrol which turns out the synthetic they market is very refined dyno.(technically qualifies to called synthetic for some reason) I believe the Amsoil one is called 7500. Absoluty disgusting they would do that, but they did and made it alot easier to buy my Mobil 1 at Costco also.
                        2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
                        Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

I still say for the stress outboard motors are put though, its worth the extra couple of dollars to insure you have the absolute best oil there is in there.

I know you are not starting an "amsoil war" However I was just stating it is not that hard to get...and really is the best, thats cheap insurance in my book especially with the investemnet we have all made in out outboards.

Comment

striperman and Dennis,
                            I agree with you that we want to run the best oil we can get to protect our investment.
                            Has there been an independent test done on Mobil 1 and Amsoil to compare the two?
                            I like to do research on products before I buy them, and I am certainly open to switching brands if I feel I can get better quality.
                            I've "heard" that Royal Purple and Amsoil are better than Mobil 1, but on what tests are these claims made ?
                            Thanks for any input [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                            Ken K

Comment

Yes all the tests are listed on the Amsoil website complete with links etc....Its all there.Amsoil is the best!

Comment

Working...
                              X