88 130 ETLG Carb trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 130 ETLG Carb trouble

It appears that I need to clean the junk out of the carbs as the engine will idle fine, but stall out as soon as in gear under load. Never done this before, but need to learn sometime. Questions are:

1. What parts to buy? That list is long and itemized.
    2. What is the best resource to learn how?
    3. Can it be done by a novice?
    4. Can I just de-gunk it with some carb cleaner?

Thoughts and pointers much appreciated.

Eric

Eric,
    I would first try a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree - sometimes that works to not only de-carbonize the motor but also clean out the carbs.
    You can also remove all the jets and bowl drains you can get to and squirt Berryman's Chemtool or Amsoil Power Foam into the orifices. Sometimes that works.
    If none of the above helps, then you will need to remove the carbs, teardown, clean, and install a carb kit.
    You need a diagram of the carbs. Can get from the online catalog above, or better yet, go ahead and get yourself a Yamaha shop manual - it will pay for itself.
    Also get a carb cleaning can/kit from auto supply that will be filled with carb cleaner. I think Berrymans makes one. Get one big enough to hold the largest part of the carbs.
    Let parts soak overnite and clean out all passages.
    Can order a carb kit from the sponsor of this forum, boats.net - good prices and service.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X