250HP 2 stroke excessive smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250HP 2 stroke excessive smoke

My 1994 250hp smokes excessively at start up and sometimes when I return to idle after running at high speed. It will smoke for approximately 1 minute at start up (with ear muffs or in the water) and then cleans up and runs fine. It has been doing this for the past couple of years but recently seems to be getting worse.
    When *****ing or running at higher rpm's it runs normal and does not display smoke.
    I hope someone has a suggestion, as it's kind of embarrassing at the ramp to smoke up the area, not to mention the possibly of fouling plugs and lossing a good day of fishing.
    Thanks for any help,
    Mike

i would start with a compression test and ensure all is well on the inside. then you want to look at your oil pump on motor and ensure the linkage, at neutral, stops on the stop set pin on pump. i am not sure if your overflow from main oil tank on motor has the overflow run to the airbox but if it does you may get residual EXTRA oil there..or if your pump constantly fills,overflows you will have excess oil in airbox, but that would only occur with a bad oil control module which will make pump run in excess.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions JB, compression checked good but I'll sure look the other checks you mentioned.
      Thanks again,
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      X