Twin 200 hp overheat alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin 200 hp overheat alarm

I was running offshore and at the 12 mile mark I received the overheat alarm. On Starboard engine three oil level indicators flash. Alarm was silenced when I put both engines in neutral. Continued to run and repeated the scenario (3) more times after about ten minutes of running time. Even at *****ing speed after some time the overheat (constant alarm) sound was heard.

Started to run back home and was able to determine the following: Overheat alarm sounds after ten minutes (almostly exactly on four occasions)of running time; alarm is silenced when each engine put in neutral; continue back to running the alarm sounds; turn key switch on starboard engine to off position and can run for ten more minutes before alarm sounds; again at ten minute mark get alarm; if *****ing speed for 5 minutes and then start running after restart alarm will sound in less than 10 minutes

Water coming out of exhaust fine, out of teltail fine and shafts do not feel hot, oil level OK

What is the problem - thermostats, oil sensor, overheat sensor?

I'd check your thermostats to make sure they are opening and not stuck shut. You sure the water coming out of the exaust is at the right flow? Remember this is where the water comes out that is from the pressure relief also. When a cold engine and you start it, does it come down to rpm pretty quickly? Thats a sign that it's too hot.

I am having the EXACT same alarm right now which i have a question also (will do in a follow up post). In my case I can not see water from the dummy nor the exahust. I need to do a water pump job.

Ed

Comment

Working...
    X