1986 Yamaha 90 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Yamaha 90 problem

My stated outboard with a jet pump starts fine and runs low RPM fine. Won't rev much past an idle. Pops, spits, backfires and shakes. First thing across my mind was fuel problem. I looked at the filter unit and it looked clean. The pump also looked good inside. I tried pumping the hose bulb while running it but that didn't help. Also tried spraying flamable liquid into carbs as it ran and that didn't help. Now I'm thinking ign, cdi box, or some sensor not letting the engine rev up. Does this old of an engine have a low oil rpm limiter? I drained the oil tank and am running 2 cycle oil directly in the gas. Would a law oil sensor cause this problem?

Any other ideas would also help. I got this used from a dealer. Had a broken lower unit. Might have other problems that led previous owner to trade it in. Don't know. This is the first time I had it in the water. I put the jet pump on it. It does pump water.

HELP

If the oil tank is empty then it will go into rpm reduction and will only run about 2000 rpm's. add oil to tank and try again.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X