Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buzzing Alarm on 1989 115 V4 - What does it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzing Alarm on 1989 115 V4 - What does it mean?

The above engine as been running flawlessly for the last 2 months. Recently we had been running at 4000 rpm wakeboarding with no problems. We the had to run the boat at 10mph through a harbour in very choppy water. I heard an alarm and backed off to 5mph, the buzzer stopped (no lights on the multifunction gauges), ran at 10mph, 15, 20mph again and no buzzer. Water is coming out of the water pee-hole, impellor was replaced 14 months ago.

I am not sure what the alarm is for, but this info may help. I checked the oil resevoir on the boat, and it is only 10% full, could the choppy water have caused the boat to detect no oil in the on-boat tank and could this have caused the temp alarm (does the alarm repsond to this condition, the shop manual is vague?). At the beginning of the season we were troubleshooting a carb problem and noticed that the right (looking from the top) bank of cylinders were much hotter than the left. I have read up about thermostats, and know that these have not been changed in 8 years (and the boat is kept in salt water), and the boat has 2, could one be stuck, causing the right bank to overheat at low revs?

The boat does idle rough, but is fine at 1200...

I am going to order some stats and fill the tank to 50% to see how things go.

Any help on "what the buzzer" means would be good. Also as the engine seems to run ok, would I be causing damage if we continue using it until we replace the stats....

you may have set off the low oil sensor with he low level, or had a slight overheat while running in choppy waters as to not have enough waterflow over the intake. as long as it stopped buzzing and works correctly, you shouldnt have any issues. thats why it is extra insurance to have the multifunction gauges as to know why the issue occured in the first place.

Comment

Wakeboard,
      The alarm you hear can be triggered by either an overheat condition or low oil.
      An overheat condition can be caused by several things:
      1)weak water pump
      2)pressure control valve, aka "poppit" valve stuck open
      3)stuck thermostat
      4)faulty thermoswitch giving false overheat signal
      5)intake to water pump clogged with debris
      6)mineral deposit buildup in head water jackets

Hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Hi Ken

I have seen your previous posts re:thermostats, and will prob pull one over the next few days, and clean-up/test. If it is fouled I'll replace with a washer to keep the psi up. I've read on the yamaha forum that the buzzer can be caused by low oil as well... This forum is great and much better than the paid for advice I can get in North Wales UK....

Will let u know what I find...

Comment

Wakeboard,
          I would pull both 'stats and test in a pan of heated water - should be fully open at around 140 degrees f. - approx 0.120 inches.
          If you replace a 'stat with a washer, then do the other also - you don't want one bank of cylinders operating at diff temp than the other.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

YOU GUYS KEEP SAYING LOW OIL! MAY I KNOW WHAT KIND OF OIL PLEASE. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
            RuNNeR

Comment

Runner,
              We are talking about the TCW-3 oil that is used by the injection pump for lubrication on the 2-stroke motors [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
              Ken K

Comment

you so nice,Thanks ken [img]smile.gif[/img]
                RuNNeR

Comment

Working...
                X