Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buzzing Alarm on 1989 115 V4 - What does it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzing Alarm on 1989 115 V4 - What does it mean?

The above engine as been running flawlessly for the last 2 months. Recently we had been running at 4000 rpm wakeboarding with no problems. We the had to run the boat at 10mph through a harbour in very choppy water. I heard an alarm and backed off to 5mph, the buzzer stopped (no lights on the multifunction gauges), ran at 10mph, 15, 20mph again and no buzzer. Water is coming out of the water pee-hole, impellor was replaced 14 months ago.

I am not sure what the alarm is for, but this info may help. I checked the oil resevoir on the boat, and it is only 10% full, could the choppy water have caused the boat to detect no oil in the on-boat tank and could this have caused the temp alarm (does the alarm repsond to this condition, the shop manual is vague?). At the beginning of the season we were troubleshooting a carb problem and noticed that the right (looking from the top) bank of cylinders were much hotter than the left. I have read up about thermostats, and know that these have not been changed in 8 years (and the boat is kept in salt water), and the boat has 2, could one be stuck, causing the right bank to overheat at low revs?

The boat does idle rough, but is fine at 1200...

I am going to order some stats and fill the tank to 50% to see how things go.

Any help on "what the buzzer" means would be good. Also as the engine seems to run ok, would I be causing damage if we continue using it until we replace the stats....

Hello,

I have a 1989 90HP, the buzzer means either of 2 things. Low oil or high temp, unless it is broken. I am have some diffuculty with mine. Where was the pointer on the Gauge when the alarm went off? Sounds like a good plan to fill the oil and install new Thermostats... 10% full is not much oil...

Good lick

Comment

Working...
    X