Oil wont transfer to tank onpowerhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil wont transfer to tank onpowerhead

Hi folks. I have a problem and I hope that you can give me some advice. I have a '90 Yama 130 hp uotboard.Oil is not being transfered from the remote tank to the one on the powerhead automatically. I can fill it with the switch on the black box. I checked the float gauge with a meter and it did close a circuit when the float got to the full or the empty so I assumed it was working. I bought a new black box from Boats.net and installed it. I still have the problem. This is frustrating! What can I try next?
    Thanks
    Kahoona

Kahoona,
    I would check the remote pump/motor.
    Use a voltmeter and see if 12 volts is getting to the remote pump when the control module calls for oil from the remote tank.
    If you get 12 volts and do not hear a pump running, the remote/pump is bad.
    If you get 12 volts and hear the pump running, then remove the oil pickup and check for clogged filter.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken
      I will make that check as soon as I can. I had not checked that because the oil transfers when I engage the overide switch but they could be on different circuits and that would do it. Will let you know. Rob

Comment

I checked and the pump motor does not try to run when the Power Head tank is low but it does run when the overide switch is engaged and the tank does fill then. It just won't work automatically. What do you think I should try next! Could it be the float even thouh it does complete a circuit when it is at full and another when it is near the min. line? Is there more to it? I am going nuts,( and probably broke.) At least I ca sell the old 'blask box' on Ebay now that I know it works!
        Rob

Comment

Check the oil level sensor in remote oil tank(the tank in boat). If oil level in remote tank is low or if level sensor is bad, it will not transfer oil to engine tank. If you have the oil level indicator lights on the tach make sure it is showing full(green light on some gauges). If yellow light in tach is on that indicates low oil and transfer pump will not run until tank is refilled.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. The sensor closes a curcuit when it is nearly at empty. Because of that I assumed that it was working OK but I could be wrong. When there is oil in the small tank no lights are lit on the tach unit. When the oil level drops in the small tank all three lights (green, yellow and red) flash along with a buzzer and the RPM limiter. The yelow light never comes on by itself.At first I can travel at a low speed without hearing the buzzer but soon after that the buzzer sounds regardless of the speed.Whe3n I fill it with the manual transfer switch it goes back to normal. This is terribly frustrating because I cannot figure out what to replace. I replaced the con***** module. No change. Should I try replacing the level sensor? What would you do next?
            I am going North for 3 weeks and so I may not get to check it out untill I get back but I will let you know what happens then.
            Thanks
            Rob

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice. I got back from vacation monday and ordered the oil level sensor after doing the tests suggested. Sadly I never got to install it because while I was out on the ocean today running near full throttle my motor made a mighty clang and a thump and died.Yes their was oil in it. I fear poverty and a new 4stroke are in my future.

Comment

Well, Rob, you (somebody) got 16 years of service from that little V-4 Yammie - not bad .
                Hopefully your new motor will do as well [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                Ken K

Comment

Hopefully you got your oil problem fixed but if not this was my experience! I couldn't get the pump to come on on engine 2 so I check all cables and then replaced the oil sincer on the powerhead. It still didn't work. I have twin engines so I swapped the "brains" between the two engines and cured the problem on engine 2 but now had the same problem on engine 1. The "brain" was priced at $1,200 and the only problem was the oil not filling on the powerhead. So I bought a $5 relay from Radio Shack and wired the pump to alway stay on unless the oil reservior is full and then the relay turns off the pump. If the relay fails then the oil will overfill which I thought would be better than running the engine without oil.

Comment

Working...
                  X