ran outboard dry, now won't run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ran outboard dry, now won't run

i ran my c60tlrx dry last weekend, it was running great at the time. now, after refueling, it started, but stalled after 10 seconds or so, and now won't do anything. have troubleshot all the usual suspects, battery, starter, switches, etc. all check out ok, and i seem to recall something about a proccess that needed to be followed after running a yammi dry. does anyone know anything about this?

the first thing I would do is pull the water jackets and heads to view the cylinder walls. there is something serious going on if it wont stay running.you COULD JUST do a compression check but i dont think i could sleep right without the visual...but thats just me.

Comment

thanks, i must have not been clear. it won't start at all now. there is a audible click sometimes, but the starter won't turn. all tests indicate the starter, starter soleenoid, start switch, kill switch, etc all check out fine. i am sure its an electrical issue. ther is voltage present at the starter solenoid when the switxh is turned to the start position, and the solenoid itself behaves as it should when tested.

Comment

harry,
        Monitor the voltage on the hot terminal on the starter - this is the one that should have a red cable that goes to the starter solenoid.
        With the start switch engaged, the solenoid (relay) should "click" and apply 12 volts to the starter. If you hear the relay click, and do not measure 12 volts at the starter, then you have a bad starter relay or associated wiring.
        If you have 12 volts at the starter and it does not spin, then you have a bad starter.
        All of this has nothing to do with running the motor dry. With that pre-mix of yours, you should be able to just refuel and pump the primer bulb til firm and restart the motor.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

HI, you said that you ran the motor dry. What exactly do you mean? Did you run the motor without any water, earmuffs or in the water? Or did you run it out of gas ? Without oil? which one? I would assume that you ran it out of gas, and now it will not start. The first thing to check is all the battery connections. Sometin-mes they look ok, but are not, clean and tighten them if they need it. Then go from there to the next set of connections, at the starter, do the same to them, just keep going till you find the loose, corroded connection

Dennis

[ August 13, 2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Dennisg ]

Comment

Harry, did you try jumping the selniod, to see if it cranks, I once had a falty key switch, sometimes it worked , and sometimes not, it made me nuts till I found it, only after a friends advice.
            Dennis

Comment

dennis, yeah, ran it out of fuel. i gave up and took it in this afternoon. can't wait for the bill @ 75 bucks an hour....

Comment

Working...
              X