Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best starting procedure? 2-Stroke, carbuerated, electic choke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best starting procedure? 2-Stroke, carbuerated, electic choke.

I have a 2002 Yam, 130hp 2-strk. I just performed the "shock treatment"...no more bogging while throttling up. I've always and continue to have precived excessive cranking required to start the motor. I typically just hold in the key (apply the electric choke) until the motor starts, but the results often vary. Are there better ways to start the motor when the motor is hot/cold/warm? Should I be positioning the throttle slightly higher while turning the key? I leave it down now. I've noticed cold starts take about a dozen+ cranks. Normal? And every few times when its hot, it will takes 1-2 minutes to finally get it going. Any recommendations? The starting seems to be the only think that bothers me now, it is really fast and runs great otherwise.

matt,
    When I first got my 2000 C115, it was very hard to start - had to crank forever. Turned out to be the choke plates not closing completely.
    Check your choke plates - remove the air intake silencer and look directly into the throats of the carbs. Have someone engage the choke at the remote switch while you observe the closing of the plates (butterfly valves). The plates should close COMPLETELY.
    Close the plates by hand to see where they should stop. If the choke does not pull them in as tight, then adjust the choke linkage to make it so. Also, pull the manual choke knob - adjust it likewise.
    To start when cold, I pump up the bulb until firm - this may take 4-8 pumps - it varies.
    Then take the throttle out of gear and move just a little above idle. Hold in the choke till motor fires - release choke.
    When warm, I just hit the starter switch - no choke or extra throttle. If it has been, say, an hour since I shut the motor down, then I may have to hold the choke in for a few seconds.
    The carbureted V-4 Yamahas are all different. But the above procedure should get you in the ball park. You just have to get to know your particular motor.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken do you have a copy of the Yamaha Rigging Guide that was on the site before they took it off? If you can email me a copy I would greatly appreciate it (mdeans@rgv.rr.com)

Comment

No, Mike, I do not - and I don't know why the "Knowlege Base" is no longer available.
        Wish it was.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X