Please Help! oil injection wiring on a 1989 90HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help! oil injection wiring on a 1989 90HP

Hello All, Need Help with oil injection! thought it would be best to repost this message from earlier in the week so I may make adjustments oover the weekend.

I have recently purchased a 1989 90 HP on a 17 ft Boston whaler, seems to be running fine and getting oil, light smoking and slightly oily plugs. Oil Tank is full, but the yellow indicator stays on. The dealer I purchased this from is at a loss.... although they are trying to help. They emptied and cleaned the tank, cleaned a filter, and replaced the sensor. Also ran new wires to the gauge from the sensor. Unfortunately, they are new to Yamaha and have been mainly selling 4 Stokes. We all thought that this was an oil problem because the red indicator and audible alarm would go off after about 15 minutes.

Turns out that a piece of an old impeller was stuck in the water tube. That was fixed the alarm issue, telling us that it was the temp sensor setting off the alarm, but the warning would also set off the red alarm indicator... This is also a concern.

The operators guide states that only an audible alarm would go off for the temp warning, not the red indicator. Could wires be crossed or connected improperly? What can I check next?

thx Jon

If I remember right about 1989 or 90 Yamaha added the temp light to the digital speedometer. When they did the engine had a gray wire that plugged into the gauge harness(at engine), If that wire is connected to Green with red stripe it may cause the warning light to come on.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a speedo yet. And I do not think I will get the digital... Just plain analog gauge

I did a bit more poking around on this 90HP. I unplugged the oil harness from the gauge and nothing... no change. Also it looks like the temp sensor is also wired to the oil sensor in the engine which could explain why it could also send the alarm to the gauge if it ran to hot.

Would any one know if the default state for this gauge is yellow on the oil indicator, when unplugged?

THX Jon

Comment

Working...
      X