outboard oil smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outboard oil smell

i have a 88 outboard (130hp), it works fine except that am smelling a lot of burned oil, there are no smoke that i can see, temp is fine, and i can smellit even when the boat is moving, is there anything i should look at? my understanding that the smoke goes through the lower unit when you engage the gear, does anyone know if that can be bloked with time?
    thanks

Hi, has the motor been in storage for a while? If it has, I might drop the lower unit and check that some critter hasen't built a home in the ehaust tube, I have not had this happen to me, but I have read that it happens sometimes.
    Dennis

Comment

bryston,
      I would run the motor on the driveway using the earmuffs and make sure the exhaust is coming thru the prop hub - if not, then there is some kind of restriction and you need to drop the lower unit and investigate.
      Also, take the hood off while your are running the motor and look for exhaust leaks, especially any smoke blowing back thru the carb intake - this could be caused from worn out reed valves.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X