Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water-in-fuel warning indicator - help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water-in-fuel warning indicator - help please!

Hi - asked this last year, no answers that were informative, figured I'd try it again.

Got this flashing indicator sayin there is water in the fuel. Asked for clarification from my local dealership. They provided a print out of the manual. No other info... Manual reads :

Note the indicator operates only when an optional water sensor has been installed.

The first year I had this there was no blinking until the end of the season. I'm now on my 2nd season. It's a 1999. So I did not buy it new...

It goes on to say :

If the water which has been seperated from the fuel has reached or exceeded a specific volume, the indicator will blink to signal the water should be drained or the filter changed.

Can anyone tell me WHERE this SENSOR is located and how it determines water in the fuel so that I can correct it.

I have thus far, replaced in line fuel filters from the tanks. Also emptied the fuel filter cup on each engine.

Where else can I look?? Would the sensor be in the tank?

This is a 1999 Grady White 306 Center Console w/ twin 250 EFIs.

Many thanks in advance.

Ed

Sorry about the tripple post. I was getting an error when I tried posting... Didn't think it posted.

Comment

do you have fuel management?

Comment

Yup - got fuel mgmt system. Shows MPG. GPH, Total Galons. Accurate to the exact gallon.

Ed

Comment

Ed,
          I have looked at the diagram of your motor in the online catalog above - it shows the local, on board, fuel filter as a water separator. It shows a water level ring as part of the assy. But I don't see any kind of switch associated with this filter.
          I would say that the "water in fuel" indicator should be getting its signal from a separate remote inline filter/water separator like a Racor.
          The water sensor would be installed at the bottom of the filter where the water collects.
          But it is also possible that you have a water sensor installed in the main fuel tank.
          Hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Ok, Ed, just read your last post.
            I think the water sensor is going to be part of that fuel management system - wish I could be more specific - jb or Hamfisted will be able add more.
            Ken K

Comment

Yes, when I dismantled the inline filter on the engine(s) I saw that little ring. Like you I didn't see what there was to generate a signal. Also didn't see any water in the fuel when I emptied them.

I have the 1 inch thick service manual on these engines, and it does not describe any water sensor that I've found. Not in electrical nor fuel sections.

The pages the dealer gave me are not from the service manual. They are from something with a chapter heading called Outboard Rigging Guide. Pages 5-47,5-48,5-49,5-50. Reference to the guages is not covered at all in the service manual.

Maybe I should try a dealer in Florida or Carolinas. I left a msg for yet another dealer further up here in Maine, but no answer back. They wanted to know if I bought the boat there. I'm guessing they give preference to purchase customers...

Thanks for your insight and the time you took to research the diagram.

Comment

Sounds like DSully & I have similar problem...
                I didn't see his earlier post.

Comment

i know the EXTRA sensor wires are inline with the F/M harness, a black and white wire.if you look at the back of the gauge you should see the wire colors and in my harness they are about a foot back from the gas sensor. if you have no onboard water sensor, the wires MAY be corroded/submerged in water? and shorting creating the circuit? hopefullt BOATS.net will chime in and shed some light on this issue. A friends hpdi 300 does the same thing.

Comment

Hi, the water sensor is located at the bottom of the external fuel filter, which should be located near the fuel flow sensors. If you do not have a external fuel filter, look in the wireing harness that goes to the fuel flow sensor, there should be two 2 wires in the harness that are not being used, these are for the water sensor. make sure that they are insulated at the ends and not shorted to each other or grounded to anything.
                    BTW, if you do not have a external fuel filter/water seperator it is a good idea to install one. Yamaha makes a 10 micron filter which is available on this web site for a great price. Please let me know how you make out, Dennis

Comment

IF4T,
                      I have not been able to resolve this issue either. I have changed and cleaned both filters and still have the light flashing. The sensor right after the raycor inline fuel filter has a three wire harness but no black or white wires. There are orange, blue & purple. I will take a look at the back of my gauges to see if I have any there. Let's try and keep in contact to see if we can resolve this

Dennis S

Comment

Well - gonna be at the boat all day tomorrow, so might as well try and get to the root of this.

Dennis G, I do have the external filter, the one that feeds the low pressure fuel pumps. I do not have any sensor that I can see in it. I just see the fuel filter element w/ the rings & spring. The manual also does not refer to a sensor in the component break down.

I have no idea what you are talking about when your reference the wiring harness that goes to the fuel flow sensor. I assume you mean the guage. Are you suggesting the wires may be shorting behind the gauge?

At this point my assumption is that it's a shorting issue on the guage.

Dsully - I do not have another filter beyond my racors that I see. Just the one on the engine.

Ed

Comment

Ed,
                          Any luck with the water indicator light?
                          DS

Comment

find the harness where it plugs into the fuel flow sensors for the fuel management guage. they should be in the back of the boat or in the bilge. follow the harness to where it splits up to go to port and star. there is a two wire harness that would go to the water sensor as on a racor filter bowl. if they are not hooked up to anything and are not corroded or submerged in water, you have a harness problem. either cut the harness back and try to find the short with a continuity meter or just replace the harness. also, i have never seen this problem but it would be possible the short could be in the gauge. good luck
                            Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
                            X