Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 130 2-stroke----> Bogs out of the hole

Hey all,

My yamaha 2002 130hp TRLA has started "boging" bad out of the hole. It is sometimes hard to get on plane and will die if I don't back off the throttle and try again. I know its running rich because when I apply the choke (push the key in) when it's bogging it gets much worse and stalls. I thought I fixed it with new plugs, can of spray carb. cleaner, and seafoam in the tank, but it returned the second time I went out. Any advice/solutions?

Did it sit for a long time before all this started happening? Most likely the carb jets and passages are clogged with gum and varnish and need to be cleaned out. It may involve pulling the carbs off and tearing 'em down. Use Berryman's Chemtool spray (Walmart) and compressed air to clean every passage and jet out. Can you pump the primer bulb firm with the motor not running? If not you may also have a bad fuel pump. That motor only has one fuel pump and if it's weak or leaking it can't keep up with demand. All fuel filters are clean? Do you have a Racor installed?

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I use non-oxy. fuel. I purchased the boat in April and it ran good for the first 5 or 6 times out. I run it every week. The idle soon became rough and bogged as mentioned. I immediately tried seafoam. Then replaced the plugs and the fuel filter looked very clean. The funny things is that the boat has ran great at 3/4 to full throttle since owning. I will double check the primer bulb though. I know it becomes firmER, not sure if the pressure stays. Will gas be visibly leaking into the intake if i doesn't firm up? If it loses pressure is the fuel pump likely bad? I bet it is carbs as mentioned. I hope to get to cleaning them this week. Are Racor's any good? I doubt it has one.

Comment

if it runs great at high end, then the delivery is fine, go thru your carbs.

Comment

matt,
          What do you mean by "non-oxy fuel" ?
          I'm gonna agree that it is probably clogged high speed jets - though usually the carbs stay ok if you are running the motor at least once a week.
          But with the ethanol blended fuel now, all kinds of problems with the fuel system can occur.
          Take a look at this link:

http://www.boatus.com/news/e10_0706.htm

I have a 2000 C115 - same block as your 130. I just added a Racor filter/water separator to the fuel line. And, yes, Racor is the best, in my opinion.
          Yamaha just came out with a service bulletin recommending their 10 micron filter/water separator to counter the effects of ethanol blended fuel. Guess who makes the Yamaha filter - yep, Racor.

Now, back to your problem.
          When the motor boggs down, have someone check the primer bulb. If it has collapsed, then there is a fuel restriction from there on back to the tank.
          If not, then try pumping the bulb several times - if the rpm pick up, then you have a bad fuel pump.
          If the rpms do not pick up, then the carbs are probably clogged up.
          You could try a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree - sometimes that cleans the carbs enough. If not, then try removing the jets of the carbs (if you can get to them) and squirting some Berryman's Chemtool into the orifices). Sometimes that works.
          If none of the above works, then carbs need to be torn down and cleaned and carb kit installed.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Ken,

The Minnesota street rod association had a law passed making it legal to have pure high octane gasoline available for boats, muscle cars etc. after the legislature previously required all fuel have at least 10% oxygenates...such as ethanol. So its referred to as non-oxygenated premium fuel here.
            I will try the shock treatment as mentioned first and then take it out to the lake to take a look at the primer bulb..I seen it described on another posting for this same condition. Thanks!

Comment

I performed the shock treatment you've describe in detail that I found in an old posting. I put the lower unit in a water tank to attempt to reduce the noise, which worked well. The problem is the smoke was blowing in my neighbors windows and was "forced" to stop halfway through. In short the mix had to remain in the motor overnight. Am I asking for a disaster, with the seafoam, gas, oil, mix sitting in there 24 hours?

Comment

matt,
                I don't think there will be a problem - just finish the shock treatment as soon as you can.
                Will probably clean the fuel system even better.
                Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                Ken K

Comment

Working...
                X