Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to start motor

As posted my Runner:

I have a 1986 yamaha v4 115h 2 stroke ETLJ eng about 3 weeks ago.The 1st problem is very hard to start the motor! I always go back to stern to pump the gas by the fuel hose 3 time and put the throttle switch wide open ,then will start if im lucky.so do I have to put throttle wide open? is it normal? 2nd problem is motor was dead!! my motor was totally dead on the water when im holding 4 to 5 rpm going forward also my gas handle was about 75% down,and it was happen right after i left from ramp about 45 mins.so please help me ! i really dont know where I should start check it out! please answer me at tristardavid@shaw.ca please please help me
    THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH

Pump the primer bulb till it's firm, however many times that takes. If you can't pump it firm check the fuel pump, there's only one and it's critical that it functions correctly. If it's more than 5 years old replace it. Make sure the choke is operating correctly and that the choke plates do in fact close when commanded to. Sounds like a fuel problem all together. Carbs may need to be torn down and rebuilt. If the motor sat for very long without being run I can almost gaurantee you they need to be torn down and cleaned out.

Mike

Comment

Mike is right about the choke plates - I have a 115 myself, and I can tell you if those plates do not close COMPLETELY, then you will have a hard time getting that V-4 to start.
      On mine, I disengage the remote out of gear and move the throttle just a little above idle. Make sure the primer bulb is firm and with the choke engaged, motor should start within 4-5 seconds from a cold start.
      After motor has reached operating temp, then to start just bump the starter - should fire right up if your carbs are in good shape.
      If that motor was allowed to set up for as little as one month w/o being run, then the carbs are probably clogged up with gum/varnish. You could try a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree - sometimes that works. If not, then time to tear down the carbs, clean, and install a carb kit.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X