'88 ProV150 broken chokeplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '88 ProV150 broken chokeplates

I have a 1988 Checkmate w/'88 prov150 that was starting hard and running rough, Drained gas in both the tank and carb.'s changed the plugs still know better.I've owned this sence 1989 with no problems so for the first time I removed air intake cover only to find the top half of 5 out of 6 choke plates broken and gone , after removing carbs found all missing pc.'s stuck in the reeds problem now is Yamaha doesn't sell new plates and I've been told I have to buy complete carbs , or find used carbs with good plates. Where should I look and is this a normal problem with these engines.

harold,
    I can't imagine what would break the choke plates.
    You might try e-bay for used motor/parts for Yamaha.
    Also, do a search on "google" or "ask.com" for used Yamaha motors - there are several Yamaha motor "re-builders" listed for motors and parts.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

i did it last year after 13 yrs of owning it....you must have choked at a higher rpm and the suction pulled them right in...you have the spring loaded correct? i broke them all off and luckily none went thru reeds... didnt want to buy whole carbs so i opted for the one piece butterflies and works just fine, used carbs on ebay, $60.

Comment

That is what most likly happened motor was running bad , I stopped at a marina that is a Yamaha deal and took their mechanic for a ride and he took the motor cover off and was manualy working the choke to try and clear it up which really makes little sence.

Comment

if im not mistaken you can use most of the early years butterflies,150-200 hp, maybe 225 as they didnt go to the big bore till later, unless of course you WANT the spring loaded butterflies. i simply disssembled them both and used the good parts, they took a little bit of toying around with to get them to work smoothly, but very doable.

Comment

I have a set of carbs off my 92 150 pro v . I recently went with bigger bore carbs. I can sell you the carbs without the high speed jets for $100 plus shipping. Thats 3 carbs in excellent shape.I beleive they are the same as you 88 carbs
            email me at cmeun@optonline.net if interested

Comment

Working...
            X