overheats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheats

70 horse 1984 I changed the impeller, cleaned holes in water jacket Is there anywhere that has a free diagram of the water system or an exploded view of all parts so I can possibly see how far my limited outboard mechanical ability is going to have to stretch as the book I did buy is very very vague on this issue. Also Im curous about where the water tube enters the pump houseing. I see a rubberseal that is in the houseing however it seems like maybe something is missing as I cant see how it could possibly be watertight is that the way they are or is there another O ring or something that would slide onto the end of the tube before entering the houseing ?

hi fish-
    did you replace your thermostat? That's where my problem was. I had a chase similar to yours, but first check the obvoius parts that wear out.

For an exploded parts view, check out the parts diagrams on boats.net. Some parts are easier to see and understand than others....

I am in the middle of a complete overhaul b/c of an overheat and all of the head bolts breaking off when I tried to replace the head gasket damaged in the overheat....not fun!

Comment

'slik,
      You can view an exploded view of your motor in the online catalog above.
      This link shows the water pump tube and the seal in the pump housing where it "plugs" into:

http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...mponent=341188

Looks like there are three parts to the tube "seal". If yours looks worn, I would replace all three parts.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Thank You very much Brian S. and Mark Im goin to look at the pages with schematics you sent use your ideas and carry on from there I'll let you know how it worked out thanks again oneslikfish (Jim)

Comment

Working...
        X