98 225 surged then stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 225 surged then stopped

Was *****ing 14 miles offshore for about 1 hour when all of a sudden the moter would surge. when I ran at idle speed it was ok. Everytime I would move the throttle to 3000 rpms it would surge. I decided to pack it in for the long ride home when I gave it gas it slowed then cut off completly and woudn't start. To make a long story short when I got back to the dock and tilted the moter up gas started pouring out of the lower unit. Any Ideas I have a feeling its the fuel pump since I don't think its ever been replaced since new

yea low pressure pumps a good place to start.... remove, keep the hoses on and blow up thru, should sound like a reed and should NOT allow any air passage back down...if ANY can pass its bad....cheap enuf insurance to replace as to NOT have it go out on you 14 miles away.

Comment

yep - sounds like split diaphram in fuel pump(s) - fuel dumping into crankcase and causing motor to surge.
      A lot of owners just replace the fuel pumps about every five years as preventive maintenance.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X