Hard Starting 1988 Yamaha 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Starting 1988 Yamaha 200

I have a hard starting my engine. It will crank and crank but it wont start until I disengage the forward gear at the hand control and put the throttle at wide open. It will start at that point but I have to be ready to pull it back to idle as soon as it fires-up. The choke seems to be working fine at the ignition switch. Once it starts it runs great until the next stop. This is something that just started at maybe the last 4 outings. Before that didn't have any problems. I changed the water seperator to eliminate that but didn't help

'fisher,
    Check the choke at the motor.
    Remove the air intake silencer and look into the carbs to confirm that the choke butterfly valves are closing completely when you engage the choke at the remote switch.
    Make sure the onboard filter attached to the motor is clean.
    Also, does the primer bulb pump up hard before you start the motor? If not, then bad bulb or split diaphram in fuel pump, or sticking float valve in carb.
    If all of the above checks out ok, then I would suspect clogged carbs. Try a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree - sometimes that works. If not, then the carbs will have to be torn down and cleaned.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

your motor should have the manual choke next to where the wire harness goes into the motor. those older models , ive found always wanted the extra fuel to start, but is easier to use the remote choke.
      if your carbs havent been cleaned in the last yr or so, you should as ken said and switch plugs out if they arent new.

Comment

Thanks will try this week by changing out plugs and checking choke. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
        X