wot and rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wot and rpm

I have purchased a 22 foot han**** skiff, it is just a flat bottom skiff. It has a C 150 and a 21 written on the the prop. At open throttle I am getting only 4900 rpm. This seems low to me from previous boats I owned. And was alway under the impression you should be getting around 5000-5500. I am thinking that the previous owner put a larger prop on this boat for whole shot and less cavitation when using jack plate in shallow water. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this something more serious like loss of power. I had a compression done on the engine before buying from a great yamaha mechanic (a friend) and he said compression was great and he saw nothing wrong.

dg,
    You're not that far off at 4900 rpm.
    I believe the owner's manual lists the max rpm "range" at 4500-5500.
    I would just do a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree to get rid of some of the carbon buildup and clean the fuel system. Then new spark plugs.
    If you want to run WOT at a higher rpm, then you need to drop down one in pitch on the prop - you're hole shot will be better, but you will lose a little on top end speed.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

thanks ken, you always come through with important info. So you are saying that a lower pitch will increase whole shot and lower top end. I thought it was different, large pitch, bigger prop, quicker whole shot, loss of top end. Don't get me wrong I never run my boat wot, just every now in then I will open her up. And 4900 is all she was getting.

Comment

Working...
      X