2002 F100 Starter Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 F100 Starter Delay

For a few years now one or both of my twin F100's suffers a started delay that seems a bit like a short. Sometimes when I hit the ignition nothing but a slight click occurs.

It is not a low battery issue. I think it might be a problem with some electric switch on the power head.

Yesterday I had to turn the key maybe 40-50 times until it engaged and started. Then it ran and started fine all day.

It also started fine today, but after two weeks sitting it usually is problematic again, but not all the time.

The engines have 225 hours and run perfectly in all other respects.

Any ideas.

Grody,
    Sounds like a starter relay to me.
    But could also be poor connectors at the relay - check all of them for loose/corroded connections.
    Or, you could monitor the voltage at the starter (red) terminal - this is the cable from the starter relay. Hit the ignition/start switch, and there should be click of the relay and 12 volts should appear at the starter at the same time.
    If there is no 12 volts, just a click of the relay, then the relay or cable connections of the relay are bad. If there is 12 volts at the starter terminal and the starter does not spin, then the problem is internal to the starter.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X