Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Filter (2002 Yam 150 carb outboard)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Filter (2002 Yam 150 carb outboard)

Purchasd a new filter element for the filter cup under the couling of my outboard. I figured the cup was just threaded and would come off easy but I was wrong. The cup is plastic so I'm nervous to put to much tool pressure on it. Can anyone tell me if the cup is indeed threaded and offer any suggestions to remove it.

Yes it's threaded, standard. If it's never been off before its just tight. I only hand tighten them. Do you have a Racor filter prior to the motor? If not, you should. That will keep your underhood filter clean.

Mike

Comment

yes the bowl is threaded but does yours also have the metal locking bracket that doesnt allow the ring to turn ? if so, loosen the bracket first.

Comment

Thanks for both replies. I do have a fuel water seperator. Do I also need to put an inline fuel filter?

I do not see a metal locking bracket. Would it be very visable?

I really appreciate the rapid responses. This is a great forum.

Kev

Comment

Kev,
          I believe your onboard fuel filter looks like this - item #5 (from the online catatlog above):

http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...mponent=327062

You might want to completely remove the filter and work with it on the bench - squirt some Liquid Wrench or equiv. on the bowl where it comes in contact with the housing and let soak overnite and then try to unscrew.
          Your fuel water separator is also a fuel filter - but you need to upgrade to a 10 micron element to counter the effects of ethanol blended gasoline.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Ken K,
            Thanks for your help. I'm going to remove the assembly and will give the liquid wrench a shot.

My boat is a 2004 which came equipped with the fuel water seperator. Is there any chance the fuel filter is already 10 micron?
            Kev

Comment

Kev,
              If it's a Racor with blue lettering it is 10 micron [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
              Ken K

Comment

Working...
              X