Changing lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing lower unit

How about a little guidence on changing a lower unit on a yamaha pro v 150. Any tricks or things I should look for when changing them out

rack',
    A Yamaha shop manual would be handy to guide you along, but, basically here it is:
    1)remove prop

2)remove trim tab

3)disconnect speedo tube

4)remove lower unit bolts - there's usually one hidden under the trim tab also.

5)drop lower unit down - tilt motor at about 30 degrees so that drive shaft will clear upper casing.

6)put grease on new drive shaft splines

7)have someone pull the speedo tube back thru the upper casing while you hold the lower unit in place and also to line up the water pump tube.
    Be sure to have the remote control in neutral and the lower unit in neutral also.

8)if lower unit will not go that last half inch, then have someone turn the flywheel just a little so that the splines of the bottom of the crank will line up with the splines on the drive shaft

9)apply a quality thread sealer to lower unit bolts and torque per manual

10)reconnect speedo tube

11)apply grease on prop shaft and reinstall prop - torque per manual and use new cotter pin

12)reinstall trim tab

Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

if you keep motor tilted up, the weight factor on you is much less, when you get to the last inch, stop and look/line up the water tube and speedo tube if you use it.I also keep the throttles and lower unit in neutral, nothin like pullin one back down after it wont shift.

Comment

is there nothing you have to disconnect or remove from the shift shaft or mechanism??

Comment

lakefolk,
          I'm pretty sure the shift shaft is the same as on my C115 - just a splined shaft that fits up into the female counterpart that comes from the upper casing. That's why the remote control and the lower unit need to be in neutral when you re-install the lower unit so that the two match.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Cool Thanks Ken!!!
            I have another older Johnny on another boat and it has a screw that holds the shift shaft under the carbs that has to come out. That's why I was wondering.
            I just picked up this Yammie and was wanting to put an impeller in it just for peace of mind. Sounds like a pretty simple task compared to the other one. I'm too poor to hire the simple stuff out LOL!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X