Emergency Starter Valve Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Starter Valve Position

Motor is a Yamaha 1999 40HP, non oil injected (model C40TLRX)with an aftermarket outboard jet lower unit. It has the Prime Start for cold starting.

It has what the owners manual calls an "emergency starter valve" which is con*****ed by a small red colored lever on the middle carb. This lever has three positions, one is all the way up with no marking, next down is "Open" and all the way down is "Closed".

The owners manual instructions state that to use the "emergency starter valve", the valve should first be turned to "Open" and when the motor starts to turn the valve to the "Closed" position. No mention of the "all the way up" position. The lever is now all the way up and has been that way ever since I bought the motor used last fall.

Is the "all the way up" position the normal position for this lever or is the "Closed" position the normal position?

I think all the way down, ie. 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock is correct. That's how mine was. It's been doing real well since I installed the drain plug washer on the choke solenoid.

DB

Comment

Just talked to Yamaha Tech Support. He stated the correct position as 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock, or "normal" position as detailed on the intake cover. I guess my idea was wrong.
      I might try taking the washer back off the solonoid and see how it does with the emergency enrichment lever in the correct position.

DB

Comment

Thanks! That's where the valve has been set on mine. I didn't notice the settings on the intake cover. I'll check it out and see if I can find them.

Comment

Yep, it was right there in front of me all the time.

Thanks again.

Comment

OK, the cover has a "normal" position, an "emergency" position, and a "closed" position. Does that mean that if the solenoid is operating properly, you should keep it in the "normal" position, and if the prime start is NOT working, you should place it in the "open" position to start, and then switch it to the "closed" position to run?
            Saved and blessed!

Comment

It sounds like this engine is like my 90hp. Leave it in the normal (up) position and start the engine without giving it any throttle. It is all automatic there is no choke required.

Comment

Working...
              X