2002 40HP 2str hard starting choke issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 40HP 2str hard starting choke issue

I've read many posts about hard starting 2 stroke 3 cylinder engines. I found out something interesting today.

It's always taken several minutes of cranking before my 40 would fire off. Today I tried using the emergency choke lever below the choke solenoid. The engine fired right off after sitting for over a month.

This has convinced me that myself and the previous owner have always had a choke issue. Now how to fix it?

A mechanic friend of mine says there is a service bulletin out for this problem that details using an OMC/Bomb lower unit drain plug washer (even gives the part number) as a shim under the solenoid. Just remove the two screw, lift the solenoid, and install that washer under it. I assume it adjusts the position enough to allow the choke flaps to move to the correct posistion.

Anyone else ever hear of this? This is my first post, I can't believe I just found this forum. I've been running Yamis for 7 years.

DB

Installed the washer and so far so good. I need to let it sit for a few days and then try it to be sure. It always seems that it took a few days to a week to get to the hard starting state.

I'll post the results. Could solve problems for alot of people.

DB

Comment

I let the boat sit since my last post. Went out yesterday, primed the bulb, turned the key and it fired right up. First time since I've owned the boat. I guess the drain plug washer under the choke solenoid fixed it.

DB

Comment

Working...
      X