Noise from power tilt/trim ram . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise from power tilt/trim ram . . .

Hi everyone, I'm hoping that you can help me out here.

Today I noticed that my engine trim is making a weird noise that I would describe as a sqeaking or squealing type sound. When I trim or tilt the engine up there is no noise whatsoever, everything sounds perfectly normal. When I trim or tilt the engine down, I get the noise. The noise is somewhat noticeable when tilting the engine down from a full up position and then once the engine gets to the trim range while going down, it gets much louder. It certainly seems to be coming from the trim ram/trim mechanism area of the engine.

There was no noise when I last used the boat and it has been sitting in the yard unused for roughly the last few weeks. It has been quite hot since the boat was last used, along with some rain, although I don't suspect that would make much difference.

I applied a little grease to the trim ram and it seemed to help a little bit, but I still get the noise. Any ideas? Is this something that needs greased quite often? I noticed that the area where the ram retracts is quite a tight seal and most if not all of the grease gets cleaned off the rod before it has a chance to retract. Would an oil be a better option? Not sure what is in behind that seal and I don't want to mess anything up.

Any ideas? The engine is 2005 Yamaha 4 Stroke 50. Everything appears normal to the eye.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

NMG,
    Try using Mobil 1 synthetic grease on that ram - clean off all of the other grease. I have found that Mobil 1 lasts longer because of its water resistance.
    Also, be sure and grease all fittings - may be that you are getting the noise from the steering/tilt tube area.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the reply Ken, I'll take a look at that!

Comment

Just wanted to give a quick update. I cleaned the ram and applied a little new grease and all is fine now [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Working...
        X