97 pro v 150 lower unit replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 pro v 150 lower unit replacement

I am about to replace my lower unit myself to save some bucks, I have never worked on an outboard but it does not look to be rocket science. I looking for some tricks or pointers before I drop this unit. Any help would be great.

It would not shift into reverse and the shop said metal was seen while draining the lower unit fluid. I have never had any problems with this motor until now. Also looking for a good place to purchase a new lower unit. I have found a few on the net but suggestions are welcome.

Nothing to it. Don't forget about that bolt that hides up under the zinc tiller. If you buy a second hand unit, I would replace the gear orl and the wata pump. I would consider ebay a good source for this item. Good luck!
    Bob

Comment

rack,
      I would first get a Yamaha service manual - can order online at www.yamahapubs.com. It will pay for itself.
      Then I would check with the sponsor of this forum, boats.net, for a new lower unit - great prices and service.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

rackasaurus,
        I am only asking this to prevent you from doing unnessesary repairs... Are you sure that you need to replace the lower unit? Is the only problem that the motor won't go into reverse? Is there a grinding in the gears when you run the motor in forward? How much metal was on the drain plug when they checked the lower unit oil... just a few filings, or a bunch. Sometimes the adjustment to the shift rod is the only thing keeping the boat from going into reverse.
        Please elaborate.
        Mark

Comment

Working...
        X