Weak Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak Coils

100 HP Yamaha V4 1999-2000, I have been told that the factory coils on this motor are weak and should be replaced with after market coils. Does any one know where i could locate ignition coils? I have replaced 2 coils already, they don't last long. Any suggestions??

Thanks for your help.
    Jim

you should locate them from the idiot that told you to replace with aftermarket ones, sorry if that sounded harsh.

Comment

Jim,
      I don't understand how ignition coils could get "weak" - they are nothing more than a step-up transformer encapsulated in a rubber compound. They either work, or they don't.
      If I were going to replace a coil on my Yamaha, I would stick with factory oem. The sponsor of this forum, boats.net, is a good source of genuine Yamaha parts - great prices and service.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Back in town..was on Holiday and got into a Tornado.
        Follow up on coil problem..I have a tester for kilo volts, it reads about 6000 kva at idle, when the boat runs good, Rough I get a bad coil reading ( 2000 - 3000 kva).
        I have now found that my rectifier/regulator is getting very hot (can-t touch it) if I cool it down with a cup of water boat runs great. Reading on Kva tester is then correct. Problem is getting worse and that is a good thing as very hard to test intermitten problem..
        Thanks for your help..Sorry to dis Yamaha..Jim

Comment

Working...
        X