Steering Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Woes

I have a 1991 Yamaha 70HP model 70TLRP with a motor that wont turn with the wheel or manually. I have discovered the cable is frozen inside the tilt tube. Is the only way to get it out is bang it with a hammer? What mustI should do to prevent this from happening again (Anti-Seize, grease, sand inside of tube, etc?). It worked a month ago.

of course its a nice day out and im stuck on shore

yes they need to be kept very well lubed with the bestest lube. some drill extra fittings for that purpose. if the cable is indeed stuck, i would cut it off flush and then pound it out...if you hit it first it will flare it out making it harder to go thru the tilt tube.

Comment

I got the cable removed for the tilt tube. Will sanding the inside of tilt tube help? And can I coat the cable with Anti-Seize when I put it back in?

Comment

i would wrap steel wool around a long bit and clean it out thata way and as for never seize that should work, get the marine grade or just get some good marine grease and keep up with the lube points.

Comment

Thanks. I also have Wheel bearing grease but I dont know which one is better. ...On my way to the store to pick up steel wool

Comment

bud,
            Best grease you can use is Mobil 1 synthetic - very water resistant [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

Ken, are you for real w/ Mobil 1? I just used up all my M1 a few weeks back. All I have left is AntiSeize and Wheel Bearing Grease. Which is best for repelling water and keeping the cable smooth?

Comment

When you get it all cleaned out & lubed, put one of these on there: http://www.livebaitlarry.com/knut.asp

Comment

Steve1122, thank you for the link!! I hope it works. Thats probably why I have steering problems all the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X