carbs are clogged.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbs are clogged.

Not knowing what ethanol can do with a fiberglass tank, my 1991 Yamaha 70hp engine no longer runs right. Do you think SeaFoam treatment will help in this case or will I have to take of the carbs for a good cleaning? Can the carbs be dipped into Seafoam as a cleaner?

bud,
    You need to read this article about the effects of ethanol on fiberglass tanks - it's not good news - here's the link:

http://www.boatus.com/news/e10_0706.htm

The first thing I would do is install an inline 10 micron water separating fuel filter. I think all of us outboard owners are going to have to do this.
    If you think the carbs are clogged, you could try a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree - sometimes this works. If not, then best to tear them down and clean and install a kit. Get a carb cleaning "can" that has carb cleaner in it - one that you can soak the parts in.
    I would use Berryman's Chemtool for cleaning if you don't want to get the big parts can - I think it would clean better than SeaFoam.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

I agree with ken.

I just yesterday had to tear down carbs on a v6. Soak em good... Take out the air bleed screws, when you put them back go all the way in and then come out one and a half turns. Number the carbs to the intake. Make sure putp the floats back into the same bowls or you will have to re-adjust them. If you heat up the carb body, you can get the old gaskets off with a blade and not have to buy new ones... soak em and "let em eat"...

Robert
      Bob

Comment

Anywhere I can read up on taking apart the carbs? I have the Yamaha Service Manual but only gives pictures and not steps. Anything I should watch out for when doing them?

Comment

Working...
        X