EFI fuel pump rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI fuel pump rebuild

Hi, I have a '98 150 hp Vmax with suspected fuel supply problems. I am planning to rebuild both pumps as a precaution.

Do I need to order more parts than the gaskets and Diaphrams, or will that do it?

Also, each pump apparently has 2 diaphrams. Do both need to be replaced, or does only one typically fail (if so which one)?

Thanks for any help!

Greg

Greg,
    If you check the price of the fuel pump diaphrams vs. the entire pump in the online catalog above for boats.net, you will see that the two diaphrams are about $20 and the entire pump is only $32.
    To me, it's a no-brainer - replace the entire pump(s).
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

suspected? vaccuum test to prove without a doubt.or easier, try to blow thru backwards, if any air passes it is defective.

Comment

Ken, Thanks .. didn't realize the pump wasn't much more.

JB... can you detect a very small leak by blowing backwards?

I posted my problem previously (motor surges during hard acceleration), I've read on other threads that some recommend rebuilding F. pumps every 5 yrs anyway... so I thought I'd get it a try.
        Thanks,
        Greg

Comment

you know, for the little amount that they cost, and piece of mind when youre 20 miles from the dock, i think theyre better to replace.but there should be NO backflow thru them, if any it is compromised.Like a reedvalve, if it doesnt seal 100% there are issues.

Fuel supply problems:
          isolate the issue from tank side to motor by an aux tank and line dirctly to your motor filter and see if the problem exists.if not then check tank side, if so then i see you have carbs, the MOST problem with all outboards, have they been cleaned yet???

[ July 08, 2006, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: jb123 ]

Comment

Working...
          X