'97 V Pro 150 Overheating ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 V Pro 150 Overheating ??

Looking at buying a boat with a '97 V Pro 150hp. The owner just had the impeller and housing replaced, but when we put it in the water, the motor had no water coming out of it. He said you had to rev this motor up a bit a first to get it primed and it will start pumping water normal. Does this sound right? Has anyone heard about clearancing the impeller housing on these motors?

Did you actually run it in the water, or just hook it up to a hose? It should spit water if you were running it! On the hose sometimes there is a slight delay. Is it Freshwater or Saltwater? Check the Pee line at the block and check the thermostats and get the solution before you buy. You can buy temperature tape to put on various site of the block to see if you are overheating in case the "over-heat" alarm is not connected or is funtioning improperly. These are all quick checks when buying a used motor. I don't know about the water-pump question, but he could have installed the impellar backwards. Always check the compression on the cylinders with a compression checker (hooks into the spark plug site) disconnect the others and crank at WOT a couple of turns. If you don't know what the reading should be, you ussually are OK if all cylinders are within 5-10 points of each other. If you figure it out, don't fix it for him, just offer a very discounted offer for the motor! LOL
    Mark

Comment

Thanks. It pee'd when I had it hooked to the hose, but once in the water, nothing would happen. Checked the line and found no blockages.Checked the compression and it looks great. The thermostats were also replaced when he replaced the impeller and housing. Alarm seems to be working cause it goes off when the engine gets hot from not having any water pumping. I read that these motors have trouble priming and they need to be idled up to help prime when they first get in the water. Once primed they are good to go. Anyone else have trouble getting the pump on this engine primed?

Comment

No, they have no problem priming the waterpump. It should start shooting water out the tell-tale within 10 seconds after starting. If not, there is a problem with the water pump. Get it fix before you buy it.

Mike

Comment

I ended up taking it to a Yamaha dealer in Corpus Christi and they said this motor can have cooling problems on tunnel hull boats without having a couple of modifications made to the housing and the water intakes. The seller has agreed to get the neccessary repairs made and the dealer is going to check out the motor for me before I buy.

Comment

redfisher,
            In order for the water pump to prime itself with the boat in the water and "at rest", the water level needs to be at least two inches above the cavitation plate.
            If you have a jackplate, just lower the motor to get the pump to prime. Or trim the motor in enough to get water over the cav plate.
            Otherwise, you need to install a low water pickup on the lower unit.
            Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

Working...
            X