Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 Yamaha 40 HP Precision Blend Lower Unit/Gear Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Yamaha 40 HP Precision Blend Lower Unit/Gear Case?

Our trailer broke on the way home today and the lower guard on our 1988 Yamaha 40 HP Precision Blend Engine snapped off. We would like to know where we can purchase just the lower case with the prop guard attached. We don't need the gears, etc. Just the alumimun case. Anyone know where we might get this? Possibly in Northern California?

Hope u get lucky I need same thing for different reason (Rock!) If you have sucess & know of a source please E mail me Thanks

Comment

You don't need to replace the entire lower case - just have a welding shop weld on a new skeg - this is a fairly common repair on lower units - check with dealerships to see which shops the service dept can recommend - also, can look for prop repair shops, most of them do skeg repair also.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

if the prop was on, check shaft for any bending.

Comment

If there is still room to drill bolt holes you can buy a skeggard stainless steel skeg. It will be better then it was before.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions . Its worse than you think A 2" wide hole into the back of the torpedo ripped out when back half of skeg disappeared. I will take it to the local shop but with a machined fit for the rear cap screwed up by the missing piece & 2 vertical cracks one up each side I am sure its toast! Just missed aprat at the local dealer who sold it last week

Comment

Whew, Davee, that does sound bad - sorry about your misfortune - you might try checking ebay.com - I see used lower units there from time to time - might save you some bucks - do a search on "yamaha outboard".
              Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
              Ken K

Comment

Working...
              X