dancing boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dancing boat

I just mounted a 2000 225 ox66 on a 19ft checkmate. Now I can't trim up more than about a quarter or the boat goes nuts veering left to right repeatedly. The motor is mounted in the second to lowest position, would the hight be the issue, would one hole really make that big of a difference? I just repowered from a 235 evinrude which did not have the problem. Thanks for your time,
    Jim

is the 225 a 25 inch shaft ?? i would guess a checkmate is a 20 inch... the only other thing i would guess is that the yammie is heavier than the old 2thirstyfive, hence the bow up walking.

Comment

Your Evinrude was a 20" shaft if it was an R6. The 25" shaft was on the R6X. It looks like the Yamaha IS a 20" so that is probably the problem if you had the R6X.

On the other hand, if the motor is moving back and forth when the problem occurs then your steering cable has too much play in it.

Comment

The horizontal flange at the top of the lower unit should be level (or as close as you can with your hole pattern) to the lowest point ie bottom of the hull.

Comment

Both engines have 20" shafts. and I believe weight is pretty close. Also Steering is tight.

Comment

Are you getting the China Walk only at full or near full throttle, or does it do the same at lower power settings as well? Again check the height of that horizontal flange on your bottom end. Its got to be level with the bottom of your boat plus or minus an inch or so, as close as your adjustment holes will allow

Comment

It does it at all speeds if the trim is up and doesn't do it at all with the trim down. The anti-cavitation plate is about 3/4" to 1" above the bottome of the hull, I can lower the engine one hole.

Comment

Don't lower the motor - you are right about where you want to be with that. There is something else going on.

Comment

Working...
                X