Hard to replace shift shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to replace shift shaft?

Mine is starting to thin and I want to replace it. Any tips? What is involved?

You didn't mention what model motor you have but you do have to remove the powerhead(engine) to get the upper shift shaft out and replace it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

if it is the `89 you refer to and the head has never been removed prior, they can be quite a pain.tips, lube the mount bolts heavily with your fav lubricant, loosen back n forth very slowly as they shear easily.worst case be prepared for broken mount bolts, drilling and torches, otherwise not very tough.im surprised the shaft lasted so long !

Comment

Just had the shifter replaced on my 90 225 last year. Almost ended up trashing the motor because of the frozen bolts. Try to find an experienced mechanic that is used to working on saltwater motors. They know the tricks and what to expect. Also do a compression check to see if your motor is worth working on. You may be better off finding a newer used motor, there are plenty avaialble at reasonable prices due to so many folks re-powering. Good luck

Comment

Yeah, the boat was a trailer boat for its entire life until this year and has had more use this year probably than in the last 7 years combined.

It doesn't look that bad at all but I like to do things before they need it.

Comment

Working...
          X