'99 150 vmax surging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '99 150 vmax surging

I am having a problem with engine surging during hard acceleration. The engine starts and idles fine. It will accelerate normally for about 2-3 seconds, then loses power abruptly for about 2-3 seconds, then accellerates again. This cycle repeats itself unless I cut back on the throttle.

I can accellerate very gradually and eventually get the boat to full speed with out surging. The engine seems to run strong at full speed if I can get there, but it has cut out once or twice.

It acts like a clogged filter, but I wouldn't expect the prolonged high speed operation. I'm not very familiar with fuel injection, so I'm wondering if this could be the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Greg

If it's an EFI engine then have the fuel pressure tested, test throttle position sensor and check adjustment.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! It is an EFI engine.

The boat is located in a fairly remote area with no dealers close by. I was hoping it might be something I could check, but the "throttle position sensor" is something I'm not familiar with. Is there a simple way to check it?

Thanks!

Comment

It can be tested with a voltmeter, analog meter works best for testing and a digital voltmeter works best for adjusting. You would need a service manual for testing and adjustment specs.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X