Smart meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
    They can tell what movie you watched last nite.
    And how would they do that with an electric meter?

My wireless meter simply plugs into the outside wall box. No other connections
    to my internet, TV provider, etc..

Not being smart, just don't see how it could be done..

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

reed more about it

Comment

reed more about it
        I did and did not see anything re the above.

HOW is it done?

(And it's read, not reed) ..

My meter is on the side of the house, about the middle of the garage. Easily 30' away from me now. The cordless phone is 2' from me..

Scott

Comment

Through the house wiring.

Comment

Looks like something Chiken Little would post over at THT about the sky falling. maybe someone is just bored today

Comment

Im not chicken little and have never posted on THT,
              I posted this because I figured you whould like to know.
              SORRY.

Comment

Im not chicken little and have never posted on THT,
                I posted this because I figured you whould like to know.
                SORRY.
                Don't be sorry...

Just doesn't make sense to me. To get a TV cable signal thru a 110/220 volt
                line(to the house/fuse box), doesn't make sense...

I'm sure they can monitor my daily electric usage but again, who cares.

Scott

Comment

It's funny what was once science fiction or fantasy often becomes reality sooner or later. Plenty of stuff like that on the internet.
                  It has to be said man's desire to know what the next guy is doing, remains constant in history. Therefore all types of people including governments collect data on people. You have invasions of privacy by consumer interests. And you will continue to have official watchers for security reasons. And the third are those that use technology for criminal or "evil" purposes.
                  So it is reality that "snooping" exists, and if governments so decide will use whatever existing public or private infrastructure, if they feel the need.
                  Note USA is far more secret in this regard than the Australian Government.

Now the use of house wiring (as loop amplifying antennas) is probably old technology and no need to be used. Signals that would otherwise travel on the supply lines tends to have trouble with filters installed on equipment.
                  Ofcourse, most of our stuff is remote con*****ed via WIFI /Bluetooth whatever radio radiation. Radio radiation radiates without control and can be picked up anywhere. Think space probes.

If anybody wants to "steal" info, the astute need only pass nearby to do this.

Comment

Is there some clear evidence that the electric company can monitor private things? Electricity use is not private - they always knew that - just didn't know it as quickly as they do know. Or this is just speculation? Where does this "worrisome" information come from?
                    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Just read Townsend.
                      Hot water systems have been turned on and off for decades.
                      TV signals on the mains?
                      But you do have audio on the mains: Bluetooth speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                        Just read Townsend.
                        Hot water systems have been turned on and off for decades.
                        TV signals on the mains?
                        But you do have audio on the mains: Bluetooth speakers.
                        Blue tooth speakers are NOT getting the music signal thru 110 volts..

Keep it (the Blue tooth speaker) plugged into a 110 socket and then turn off the music source, does the music still come thru?? It has electric??? But no sound?? Hummmm..
                        Scott

Comment

Did any of you guys look at the Wikileaks releases on the CIA trove of software where they can infect your PC and keep it on after you turn it off and you wont know they are there. That allows them to hear and see if it has a camera without anyone's knowledge and make you think it was someone from China? I am sure others can invade your thermostat, your security system with cameras and your fridge that you can access over your I-phone. Think about all the possibilities today, if there is a computer chip in anything it is accessible to others. There is no privacy anymore anywhere. Does your phone go with you to the restroom if you are out somewhere? Think about that one.
                          Dennis
                          Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Oh yea.

All the new electronic's, can watch you, TV(if hacked), etc...

My desk top computer has power turned OFF to it when not in use-no one's turning that on.

*This thread was about your electric meter being unsafe and being able to see what ******, your watching, etc. Back to basics, it's a meter, wireless yes, sending usage to the electric company.

Perhaps I'm ignorant, but to get OTHER information from a meter that strictly measures current flow thru it, can't "get into" your TV, computer etc...

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                              Blue tooth speakers are NOT getting the music signal thru 110 volts..

Keep it (the Blue tooth speaker) plugged into a 110 socket and then turn off the music source, does the music still come thru?? It has electric??? But no sound?? Hummmm..
                              Sorry delete Bluetooth, meant remote speakers.

I meant there are/ were systems where you plug your speakers into any outlet to get the program music from your stereo. All the signals were sent along the mains wiring and powered from that outlet.
                              In some instances, the neighbour could plug in such a speaker and listen to what you are listening to!

I don't think Smartmeters are made to transmit other data, but I would imagine could be made to collect all signals straying on the line. They are a sophisticated piece of equipment that have very reliable sending and receiving capabilities, energy companies relying on them for profit.

Comment

My computor is turned off or in sleep mode when I am not using it, so I do not see how they can be monitoring me after there is not power coming threw the power supply to power up the computor or I would see it fire up somewhere down the road. and I do not have cameras or mikes hooked up to it. I have a flip phone and do not carry it with me everywhere, so I have to look for it from time to time when I want to find it in boat, truck, or house. Some hate the cameras on street/buildings around towns. I think if they help catch criminals that is fine with me, cause I do not do illegal things and could care less if then see me drive by or walk by. way too many people afraid of the dark now a days I guess. a lot of the main power carrier lines also carried info in the plants I worked in. hard to belive they could tap into 138KV lines to send info back and forth, but it has been that way for many many years. I guess I do not know for sure how the power meters send the info now a days, I would think it has to be along the lines themselves as Bluetooth is not strong enough to send very far
                                Last edited by 99yam40; 12-03-2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X