Rough Idle - Smooth at WOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Idle - Smooth at WOT

I have a 97 yam 225 saltwater series o/b. When I initially start the motor, whether its a cold start or been running all day, its hard to start and stay at idle. I need to put it in neutral and pump the throttle to keep it running. It refuses to stay running at idle. But once i'm in gear and under way and rpm's are up, the motor runs great w/o any hesitation. I'm guessing a bad fuel filter??? any thoughts?

Joker,
    Sounds like clogged up low speed jets.
    If that motor was allowed to set up for more than a month w/o being run, and the storage procedure in the owner's manual was not followed, then the carbs are most likely clogged with gum/varnish.
    You could try a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree - this will de-carbonize the motor and somewhat clean the fuel system.
    Or, try pulling the pilot screws and low speed jets if you can get to them and squirt some Berryman's Chemtool into the orifices.
    If the above doesn't work, then time to tear the carbs down, clean, and install a carb kit.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

if im not mistaken you have efi, yes? you have 2 filters on your motor, the cartrige can be changed and the vapor tank filter cleaned. new plugs lately?

Comment

Ok- sorry for the delay on responding and the multiple post ---
        Ken- I use ring-free on a regular basis (1oz/10gal) and seems to do a great job overall.

JB- yes it is efi and the plugs were replaced in March of this year. We use the boat at least once a month, so it really gets used quite often. About 4~5years ago I had the VST cleaned and filters replaced. Do you think its time to do it again? If so, I'm somewhat mechanical, is it something fairly easy to do? Again, its been a long time so I don't remember whats involved with the VST and associated filters.

Comment

Working...
        X