No announcement yet.

Electrical issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No ,but I will. I want to open the relay switch want check it out . It does click when turning the key does that mean it's functioning normal up to the relay switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Enki 4040 View Post
      No ,but I will. I want to open the relay switch want check it out . It does click when turning the key does that mean it's functioning normal up to the relay switch?
      The pic I posted earlier was my old starter relay.

There's no way to take it apart without destroying it. I just wanted to see and confirm that was the issue, (which it was). Approx 9 years old at the time, less than 200 hours..

If yours is like mine, it has a small coil inside that moves the contact points (for full 12 volts to the starter) together and makes the clicking noise(it's working, normal). The contact points inside (as earlier pictured) gets "burnt up" and STOPs passing current. Mine still clicked, but the contacts were burnt.

This you hear clicking, but no current passes.. Putting a volt meter on the terminals would verify, (when activated) if normal voltage is passing thru..

It's not unusual for that to fail...

I now keep in my on-board tool box, a "short jumper cable" to by-pass the relay (just in case).
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Just to be clear, the solenoid is not a device to allow a "full 12 volts" to the starter, the function is kind of like a remote heavy switch to engage the starter, which requires high current, without a solenoid, you would need big battery like cables connected to your key switch, which would no longer be a key, but more like a big knife switch! what happens you you move the key to "start" it provides 12V to a simple magnet coil, this "pulls" a plunger with a copper contact on it to close the big battery cables to supply high current capable 12V to the starter, the "click" you often here is the coil energising and making contact inside, if suitable current cannot be supplied, it just clicks, and the starter does not spin.

Comment

I don't think voltage drop was ever ruled out here.

Comment

Thanks guy for response . Get clicking now and then not all the time . I suspect the starter or the relay is this something one can do on his own ? If I don't want to deal with it now how can I winterize the motor with out it starting?

what the problem might be all depends on which of these statements are true.

Comment

Working...
            X