Yamaha F18 display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F18 display

Never saw a F-18 do some of these maneuvers' before...putting her to the edge of the envelope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf5A13atLHQ

Only thing missing is the sound. Very important part of the display.

He/she must have one of those fancy suits that pulses the blood back up out of the ankles.

Comment

No sound? I had sound....

G suit...keep the blood from leaving the brain..somewhat

Comment

I heard it too, all the way down here in TX

Comment

Pan, have you ever traveled south to Oshkosh? Lots of Canucks there every year.

They got a civilian aerobatic driver that would put that F18 to shame. He does stuff such that the mind will not accept what it sees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhnFHUd0A8

Comment

what do they dump into the exhaust for the smoke and how many gallons do they use in a flight like that?

Comment

Google says they use Aerobatic Smoke Oil.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aero....0.WtqsjkAdCYc

http://www.warteraviation.com/smoke-...-show/?lang=en

In a plane the size that Shawn Tucker uses it can't be much. A little oil seems to go a long way.

Comment

And they worry about 2 strokes polluting things.

where did everyone go?
                the forum is slow today

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  Pan, have you ever traveled south to Oshkosh? Lots of Canucks there every year.

They got a civilian aerobatic driver that would put that F18 to shame. He does stuff such that the mind will not accept what it sees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhnFHUd0A8
                  Never been to Oshkosh...would like to go one day. But have been to my share of airshows over the year's. The guys in those Pitts specials are unbelievable... it is hard to your hard around a airplane tumbling end over end, cartwheeling...ect

I always liked watching the A-10 better than anything else...don't know why.

And the B-1 bomber... shake the eyes from your head.

Of course the snowbirds as well.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    Never been to Oshkosh...would like to go one day. But have been to my share of airshows over the year's. The guys in those Pitts specials are unbelievable... it is hard to your hard around a airplane tumbling end over end, cartwheeling...ect

I always liked watching the A-10 better than anything else...don't know why.

And the B-1 bomber... shake the eyes from your head.

Of course the snowbirds as well.
                    I wish I had the opportunity to see the Blue Angels during the short period they flew F4 Phantoms. Talk about noise!

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      And they worry about 2 strokes polluting things.

where did everyone go?
                      the forum is slow today
                      Mucho slow.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                        I wish I had the opportunity to see the Blue Angels during the short period they flew F4 Phantoms. Talk about noise!
                        Huh? What did you say?

I have lost a bit/lot of my hearing. Might be attributable to the F4. They are LOUD. I should be filing a claim with the VA for my disability but I can't prove the F4 did it. There were so many other Navy aircraft that were loud.

Always tried to get a ride in the back seat of an F4 but no joy. Damn airplane needed a Naval Flight Officer in the back. I did get a couple of rides in the back of a TA-4 Skyhawk. It was a blast. They would not let me ride in the back when it went to visit an aircraft carrier however. Dammit! I always wanted to land and be shot off the deck of a carrier. I might have pooped my pants probably.

Having watched the recent Vietnam series I realized how good I had it in the service compared to those grunts and ground pounders. I was merely playing on the governments dime while they were trying to keep from getting killed. An all expenses paid four year vacation I had.

Comment

Read a few accounts here and there. A real manly machine the F4 was. No fly by wire. Control cables and surfaces had to be wrestled. More muscle needed at higher g's. Google Robin Olds. Definitive fighter pilot, in the same vein as Pappy Boyington.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                            Read a few accounts here and there. A real manly machine the F4 was. No fly by wire. Control cables and surfaces had to be wrestled. More muscle needed at higher g's. Google Robin Olds. Definitive fighter pilot, in the same vein as Pappy Boyington.
                            Big bad fighter plane. To bad it took them so long to put a gun on it.

The flight control system was hydraulic powered. Cables, bell cranks and control rods from the stick to flight control hydraulic cylinders. The flight controls themselves were moved by hydraulic power. It had "artificial feel" systems that made the stick and rudder pedals harder to move as speed and G loads increased...

Same system used to today in many modern commercial aircraft...not many are totally fly-by-wire. Most modern fighters are true fly by wire machines.

Interesting video showing F4 flight control systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_hAVknWzzQ

Comment

Working...
                            X