• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
    Like the burr....
    The carbide burr is your friend.

Comment

I do many every year. simply grab a bit slightly larger than the screw. drill off the head.
      punch the stud and nut clear.
      it is not stuck on the nut.
      it is corrosion holding the screw.
      this cwap is way to simple do not complicate it with burrs and such.
      in the time it has taken to read this post the job should have been done.

Comment

I agree this a simple thing to do for people such as you and myself who have done it countless times.....But for people who have not it can go bad very quickly.

I have done the burr trick on 20-30 screws on a Aircraft fuel tank panel that may have 300-400 10-32" in it, in one shift, and drilling them on center is absolutely required as not to damage the panel or the underlying structure.$$$

I find when you don't use something to remove the screw Phillips recess or whatever shape it is...triwing shape on many aircraft...you end up breaking or chipping the bit hooking the edges of the recesses. The burr method eliminates that goings on and gives you a nice cup shape where your drill has no choice but to start on center.

My story and sticking to it...

Comment

Easy out

Drill the head, tap in easy out, remove.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
            I agree this a simple thing to do for people such as you and myself who have done it countless times.....But for people who have not it can go bad very quickly.

I have done the burr trick on 20-30 screws on a Aircraft fuel tank panel that may have 300-400 10-32" in it, in one shift, and drilling them on center is absolutely required as not to damage the panel or the underlying structure.$$$

I find when you don't use something to remove the screw Phillips recess or whatever shape it is...triwing shape on many aircraft...you end up breaking or chipping the bit hooking the edges of the recesses. The burr method eliminates that goings on and gives you a nice cup shape where your drill has no choice but to start on center.

My story and sticking to it...
            I have to have a burr for my collection of stuff. I'm sure I will gank a few more screws in the near future.

Comment

I thought I best follow up as Yam is probably on the edge of his seat, waiting.

Drilled heads and knocked out remains. Nutting to it.

Replaced diaphragms in lp pumps.

Diaphragms are impressive. Well made little suckers.

Comment

Working...
              X