prop pitch dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop pitch dance

I have a little 2006 15 ft cape craft fiberglas flats boat with 50hp 2 stroke yamaha. The boat came with an 11 3/8x14-G prop and was way off. My dealer (just bought the boat a few weeks ago) sold me an 11 3/8x12-G and its a lot better but I think it needs an 11 5/8x 11-G. These are all aluminum props. With the 12 it runs about 5000 rpm and 25mph (gps) with 3 guys in the boat but is very slow to get on plane with this load. With just me it gets on plane a little faster and I can get it up to about 5200 rpm. Here's my question (finally):

I run in very shallow water and the alum props get chewed up a little pretty quickly. I was thinking about a yamaha black steel prop. Are these any good or is this a rust problem waiting to happen? Also, now that I think I know the right pitch for aluminum, will a black steel prop perform differently than the aluminum ones? I guess they have a thinner blade. Don't really want to buy 2 or 3 more damn props. thanks for any advice.

devrep,
    Yamaha's "black steel" is stainless steel painted black - won't rust.
    The ss props will not flex like the aluminum ones.
    With stainless, your prop will have more "bite" for the higher rpms vs. the aluminum. Therefore,
    your max rpm will be a little less with the same pitch stainless.
    You need to get in touch with a prop expert who is the Power Tech prop rep for Louisiana. This guy knows his business, and will be able to recommend the prop that will give you the performance you are looking for.
    You can get in touch with him by e-mail, and he will probably give you his phone number:
    marcus@ptprop.com
    Your time talking to Marcus will be well invested.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X