5 yr Warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 yr Warranty

When I bought my 2016 F150 the dealer forwarded the serial number to Yamaha and said that the motor has the 5 yr warranty regardless of ownership. If I that’s the case if the boat with said motor is sold, why does the buyer need to transfer the warranty in his name?

To set the record straight the motor will have a three year warranty and a two year YES extended service contract.

It is what it is because that is the way that Yamaha says it is to be. No rhyme or reason why. It just is what it is. When sold, the new owner is supposed to have the warranty transferred. Just like in a titling state, the motor needs to be registered in the name of the current owner.

Why would anyone want to own a motor and not have it in their name? That way, they can be notified by Yamaha if and when a recall or other service work needs to be done, that will be paid for by Yamaha. Otherwise, the former owner will be notified and he may throw the paper in the trash. The current owner then maybe has a problem which he would never have had if Yamaha had been able to contact him.

Some engine companies are not as favorable as Yamaha. If they find out that a motor is not properly registered in the name of the current owner, when the current owner was supposed to have the motor placed in his name, could very well deny a warranty claim. Customer did not do what he was supposed to do so the engine maker gets an "out" card. Shame on the customer for not taking care of such a simple task.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      ... That way, they can be notified by Yamaha if and when a recall or other service work needs to be done, that will be paid for by Yamaha. Otherwise, the former owner will be notified and he may throw the paper in the trash. The current owner then maybe has a problem which he would never have had if Yamaha had been able to contact him...
      Clear as a bell.

So the dealer gave me wrong info saying that transfer registration isn't required. I'll contact buyer and have him contact his local dealer. Thx
      Last edited by Reel Kahuna; 09-10-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

It was said on another forum Yamaha has over 2000 dealers. I don't recall if that was stated regarding the U.S. or the world. Guessing the U.S.

At any rate, it appears Yamaha should consider validating or vetting existing dealers. Too many yahoos in the boat business. Let them sell other brands....

Comment

I would think Yamaha also wants to know that everyone agrees it was a proper transfer of the motor.
          if I had a Yamaha stolen and some thief was able to still get warranty work done on my motor, I would be even more pissed

but Then paperwork can be falsified too

Comment

I got the SIX year warranty!

My dumb a$$ dealer forgot to register it with Yamaha until I had to get the "low idle" issue addressed....

That's the ONLY thing he did right!
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

if it has already been registered simply call a decent dealership and give them the PID, they will ask a few questions and poof.

Comment

Working...
              X