Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these tell tale signs of timing slippage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these tell tale signs of timing slippage?

Hi all

I run a number of Yams in a semi commercial work operation. By in large they are good engines but I am having difficulty with one engine that runs on a double set up. F150.

One of the engines has been running lumpy and recently wasn't keen on starting.

The mechanics we have thought it was fuel injectors so I swapped them over. It didn't really make a difference.

I asked them to change the spark plugs but they told me they had done so less that 5 hours previously. I removed a spark plug and yes it was new, but it was thick with soot on it. We changed the plugs and the engine started smoothly!

I sat on the dock for 5 mins and it continued to run smoothly. I could rev the engine in a normal capacity all good.

Went for sea trial. This engine struggled to go above 3200rpm whilst the other easily was hitting 4000rpm+

I could hear a strange noise from under the cowling so removed it and tracked this noise to the cam belt hitting the plastic cover. There was some evidence that this was the case perhaps for some time.

Whilst I was back there a light oil slick appeared around the engine. There was no evidence of oil leaks from anywhere I could see, thus I can only attribute the spill to fuel or oil leaking out exhaust.....perhaps due to the timing having slipped.

Can anyone add any thoughts to this?

I have asked local Yam service agent but no response as of yet.

Cheers
    Ecosset4

Being a cogged belt, it likely didn't jump.

You can check it by rotating CLOCKWISE at the flywheel with a socket/breaker bar till both cams line up and the crankshaft IS at TDC...

It should NOT be rubbing anything in any case..That needs to be addressed ASAP.

There is a hydralic/spring belt tensioner. Is that staying steady as the engine runs? It should NOT be "hopping" about.

Sooted up plugs and fouling shortly after installing the new ones seems to be pointing towards a FI or electrical issue...

Can you post some good pic's of the rubbing, worn spots, anything unusual?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
    X