Somewhat boating related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat boating related

Too close of a call for me. What was the piloti thinking?

Methinks some speedos will be in need of some serious cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnT3sUkK738

Looks like those two planes had a spacing issue. #2 starts to swerve to his left after realizing he is too close to #1. There were two more videos that popped up after this one that were interesting also.

Comment

Second guy ran up on on the first....nowhere to go. Very lucky.

415 is a great machine. It used to be a 215 with radial engines...then changed to
      Turbo prop PW 123 over 2000 hp per side and rid of the heavy pistons which are maintenance pigs..Been up for a few trips in 215 and 415.

Like doing 120 knots in a big aluminum boat...what a racket. hahaha

Comment

I wonder about the loads imposed on the water inlet when they are scooping up water at possibly better than 100 miles an hour. Must be some tremendous forces on the airplane. And to think that the pilot is trying to maintain a certain air speed as he is taking on tons of weight with the drag of the scoop in the water. Pretty impressive.

Yes, those old radials are maintenance intensive and short lived. But damn, they sound like an airplane motor is supposed to sound. But I do prefer the smell of kerosene burning in the morning.

Comment

Would have been interesting to see the rest of the story. Did the plane continue his run and somehow claw his way back into the air? With wing damage. Did he dump the water asap after getting airborne? May have to search google for answers.

Comment

Some holidaygoers in a riverside community in the south of France got an airshow plus some drama on Sunday when an air tanker taking off from the Rhone River hit a barge’s mast with its wing. “It is a miracle that there have been no [deaths],” a spokesman for the harbor office at Vallabregues told local media. The Canadair CL-415 was the second of two taking off from the river after loading water to fight a nearby forest fire. People aboard the barge can be heard in the accompanying video exclaiming at how close the first aircraft passes to the barge and whoever shot the video appears to have dropped his or her phone as the wing of the second flying boat severs the mast.

The video ends there but apparently, the sturdy aircraft continued the takeoff and landed safely at Nimes, a short distance away. According to the Fire Aviation website, the aircraft will be repaired within weeks and be put back in service. French officials released this translated statement. “The wing of the firefighting plane is damaged. It will be unavailable for several weeks," the statement said. The pilots were reported to be experienced and knew the stretch of water and were given the rest of the day off for a medical check. The 75-acre fire near Collias was brought under control later in the day.

Comment

I'm restraining myself.....trying not to crack on the French. Rest of the day off for medical...

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                I wonder about the loads imposed on the water inlet when they are scooping up water at possibly better than 100 miles an hour. Must be some tremendous forces on the airplane. And to think that the pilot is trying to maintain a certain air speed as he is taking on tons of weight with the drag of the scoop in the water. Pretty impressive.

Yes, those old radials are maintenance intensive and short lived. But damn, they sound like an airplane motor is supposed to sound. But I do prefer the smell of kerosene burning in the morning.
                Scoops are not that big really....you can cover one with your hand basically. Two tanks...one scoop for each tank. 1600 gallons load. I have several friends I grew up with who work on those....built like a truck. The wings are really thick. built for lift, not speed.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  I'm restraining myself.....trying not to crack on the French. Rest of the day off for medical...
                  Rest of the day off... getting crapped on for doing something so stupid I would say. lol

Comment

I would think the people on the barge may need a holiday. Maybe 4 weeks in Florida. Townsend can ride them around after they finish in Orlando.

Comment

Watch the second pickup on this video...see how close he comes to the swimming area...not very sensible at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MROYVoZXALo&t=14s

Comment

Working...
                      X