Shaking really bad once warmed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaking really bad once warmed up

I have a 50hp 50etlj , from what I've read it's a 86 with a jet drive. It starts right up and runs great till it warms up and then shakes really bad. I can throttle it down for a few mins and it will run fine for a few more mins. It never dies and idles great during the throttle down. The oil pump has been removes. I guess it would be heating issue. Where do I start?

How does it run mid range and WOT?

Has it sat for any length of time W/O fuel stabilizer?

Does this appear to be your engine:
    http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html

Part #17 is the float bowl drain (one for each carb).

I would probably start by draining the carb float bowls and catching what comes out checking for water/crap, etc.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-28-2017, 08:33 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      How does it run mid range and WOT?

Has it sat for any length of time W/O fuel stabilizer?

Does this appear to be your engine:
      1986 50ETLJ Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

Part #17 is the float bowl drain (one for each carb).

I would probably start by draining the carb float bowls and catching what comes out checking for water/crap, etc.

Probably a fuel issue like mister Townsend says..check the carbs. AND check your fuel tank for venting...

I had a merc one time (last time) that would do that very same thing. Took a while but found a cracked coil. It would run a few minutes then drop a cylinder...

Found it by running at night...lit up like a Christmas tree when the engine warmed.Could hardy see the Crack with the eye....

Comment

The boat is new to me so I would assume it has sat some, but It runs perfect for 5 to 10 mins no matter what speed. Just long enough for me to be happy with a test drive. Yeah that is my motor. I will drain the carbs when I get off work.

Comment

I would find out if it is overheat.
          is this a remote control with any thype of alarm system to tell you if it is and overheat?
          disconnecting the pink wire from the temp switch on the head while the problem shows up will tell you if that is causing the problem. temp gun measuring head temps would tell something also.
          when was the last time the stat was replaced, maybe pump is not getting enough water flow thru the motor for cooling

Comment

Rod has mentioned before that motors shake pretty bad when the rpm reduction is triggered.....

Comment

Being we now know the engine is new to the OP, IMO change out the WP and at least inspect/test/replace the thermostat.

Obviously, the PO wasn't quite honest with the OP.

Those parts should be checked / changed in ANY event (as no one knows the maintenance history) and could be the issue, (not enough coolant flow at idle, overheating, etc)..

WP for the jet drive:
              http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TER/parts.html

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-28-2017, 01:14 PM.
              Scott

Comment

The stream of water coming out of the motor is strong and The water isn't hot. I should still do the water pump?

Comment

find out what the problem is 1st.

Comment

I drained the bowls one had a couple specs of dirt. The air box is missing 2 of the gaskets that seal up the carbs and there is quite a bit of fuel on the air box. Are those gaskets a must have?

Comment

Originally posted by Miraclegrow View Post
                      I drained the bowls one had a couple specs of dirt. The air box is missing 2 of the gaskets that seal up the carbs and there is quite a bit of fuel on the air box. Are those gaskets a must have?
                      The gaskets between the carbs and intake manifold (block) ?

Comment

No the gaskets are on the air box.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          Rod has mentioned before that motors shake pretty bad when the rpm reduction is triggered.....
                          I don't think an 86 engine would have RPM reduction...could be wrong though..

And yes they do shake bad when in RPM reduction mode...

Comment

What happens if you partially apply the choke when it's running rough? Any change?

I believe you have simple butterfly plates..
                            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-28-2017, 06:52 PM.
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                              I don't think an 86 engine would have RPM reduction...could be wrong though..

And yes they do shake bad when in RPM reduction mode...
                              I missed the mention of '86 in post 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X